Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Biggest Super Bowl Party thanks to Social TV

Social media has forever changed the way we watch television.  Social networks such as Twitter and Facebook allow you to connect with others in real time without leaving your home.  Even if you're watching TV alone, it is likely that someone is not only watching the same television program, but they're also tweeting about it.  If you want to know how to connect with a fellow viewer, simply login into your Twitter account enter the #hashtag of the program you're watching and check out the stream of tweets relating to that program or topic. Then, it's up to you to engage in conversation. I've watched some of my favorite TV programs as I simultaneously engaged others on Twitter.

It is rare that I watch television without periodically checking my twitter feed. I'm always curious as to what others are saying about a particular program. I've always been a chief multi-tasker, so joining a social conversation on Twitter while I watch TV is enriching and personalizes the experience.  It allows me to meet new people, engage others in conversation and follow tweeps with similar interests. 

The most exciting social television event I've participated in thus far was Super Bowl 2012. It is reported that 111.3 million Americans tuned in to watch this year's Super Bowl, making it the most watched TV Broadcast ever. I must admit, I've never really been a sports fan. I used to attend Super Bowl parties for the food and fellowship. I love meeting new people and Super Bowl parties always gave me a chance to reconnect with friends and meet new ones. This year, I didn't have a Super Bowl party to attend but didn't want feel left out. So I hesitantly hyped myself up about the Super Bowl and waited patiently for kick-off.

This years Super Bowl experience was awesome! Twitter allowed me to participate in the largest, most exciting Super Bowl party ever. I talked with people I haven't spoken with in a while, met new people, gained followers, followed others and tweeted with people I may never speak with again. Twitter set an all new record during Super Bowl 2012 with 12,233 tweets per second while Madonna's half time show came in 2nd with 10,245 tweets per second. This Super Bowl party was the place to be and all were invited to attend.

No comments: